I have always had a running bucket list in my head of places in the world that I want to see. The list changes all the time – I plan a client’s trip and get a new inspiration. I attend a new training and learn about a fabulous updated property and my mind goes wild. I watch a movie, read a book, see a picture, and my restless desire to keep travelling just keeps growing and growing.
With my 40th birthday quickly approaching next year, the question of what I want to do keeps coming up in conversation with my family and my head is constantly churning about where I want to celebrate. Through these conversations, I have noticed the same destinations keep popping up and realize that I have inadvertently created my own top 10 list. My list is likely very different than most travellers as I have already accomplished so many on my to-do list like going to Australia, hiking the Inca Trail, taking an African Safari, and Sailing the Mediterranean just to name a few. The World is such a wonderful place with so much to explore, these are my goals for the next 10 years (in no particular order, except for #1 which has been #1 for the past 10 years).
- Tahiti – as a beach and sea lover islands like Bora Bora and Morea have always pulled on my heartstrings. The peacefulness of this paradise, together with overwater bungalows, adventure, and romance, it has been a life long dream of mine.
- San Francisco and Wine Country – I love my wine. One of my favourite pass times is visiting wineries in Ontario and I have always wanted to visit San Francisco and the surrounding area. Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino are all regions that I want to explore and drink my way through. Bike riding to wineries, taking a hot air balloon ride, enjoying some relaxing spa time are all on my travel wish list.
- European River Cruise – I have travelled extensively through Europe by oceanliner, car, train, and even foot….but I have never been on a River Cruise. With popular itineraries that include Austria and Hungry or maybe even Russia…there are so many cities that I wish to explore and fall in love with. Even Adventure By Disney offers Family River Cruises in Europe that are geared for everyone to enjoy.
- UAE – my best friend has lived in the UAE for the last 8 years and I have yet to make a visit to this faraway-land. Cities like Dubai and Abu Dhabi are bustling, energetic, and growing every day. Going on a desert safari or visiting the only 7-star hotel in the world are wishes that I dream about daily. Bucket list activities absolutely involve exploring the Sand Dunes and Skiing indoors!
- Alaskan Cruise – although I have been to Alaska already, I still want to return to explore more in-depth and to see Glacier Bay in particular. To be able to cruise the inside passage and see all the ruggedness that Alaska has to offer peaks my interest. My kids want to dig for gold and go dog sledding, and honestly, so do I!
- Japan – last year I planned a 10 day fully customized trip for a client who was visiting Japan with her 12-year-old son. We included tours of Tokyo and Kyoto, Sushi making class, Japanese Sword training, and a Geisha Ceremony. With visits to Hiroshima, a traditional fish market, a stay in a Ryokan, this itinerary was jam-packed full of so many of Japan’s highlights. Learning about this country in more detail and perfecting this itinerary definitely ignited my interest to visit and catapulted it on to my wish list.
- Nickelodeon Resort in Punta Cana – this is the only resort on my list and it’s
probably because my kids desperately want to go here and I desperately want to make this happen for them. This new resort just opened in June and has a fabulous waterpark, luxurious accommodations, and a 1500 square foot, 2 level, SpongeBob Square Pants Pineapple Suite. With a private garden and patio, infinity pool, sun-bathing beds, dining & living area, and a personal butler, it has my name all over it.
- Thailand – movies like The Beach have inspired me to visit this exotic location which I have been dreaming about for so many years. From the capital city of Bangkok to the beaches of Phuket, the beauty is just never-ending. I want to explore the cities and villages, meet the people, eat the food, and immerse myself in a culture that is so different than my own.
- Hawaii – I think Hawaii is on almost everyone’s travel bucket list. The history, the culture, the scenery, the aloha spirit, good food, amazing resorts, and spas….all make my snobby travel dreams flutter. I flip flop between taking a Hawaiian Cruise or island hopping but whichever I choose, I am sure I will not be disappointed.
- Iceland – Blue lagoon, northern lights, Reykjavik City, Gullfoss Waterfall, whale watching, ice caves…. the list of highlights are endless. My wish to see this country is only hampered by the fact that I hate the cold. I will one day make it to this expansive and thrilling county even if I have to pack a fleece sweater for July and August as the 22 hours of daylight and thrill of seeing the Northern Lights will make up for the lack of warm weather.
As a restless traveller, I am sure that this list will grow and evolve, priorities will be made and opportunities will arise to start checking them off. As for my 40th birthday celebration, I’m still undecided.
Now it’s your turn….what travel destinations are on YOUR bucket list and when are we going to start making them happen for YOU?
[…] made it to my travel bucket list this year, this Nickelodeon Resort is one that I wanted to visit since the time it opened in June […]
Another great blog post!!!
Thank you Carl!!